BMW E24 reliability
What is BMW E24?
The BMW E24 is a classic luxury coupe produced by BMW from 1976 to 1989. It is part of the 6 Series lineup and was designed as a successor to the BMW E9. The E24 is known for its elegant and timeless design, combining performance and luxury features, making it a popular choice among car enthusiasts.
Is the BMW E24 rare?
As of my last update in September 2021, the BMW E24 can be considered relatively rare. This is because the E24 is a vintage car, and its production ended in 1989. Over time, many of these vehicles have been retired from active use, and some have become sought-after classics, leading to a decrease in their availability on the market.
The rarity of the BMW E24 would also depend on various factors, including the model year, the specific version of the E24 (e.g., standard models or limited-production variants like the M635CSi), and the geographic location. In some regions, enthusiasts and collectors may keep a few of these cars in good condition, while in others, they might be harder to come across.
It’s important to note that availability and perception of rarity can change over time, so the current situation may differ from what it was in 2021. If you are interested in owning a BMW E24, it’s recommended to search through classic car listings, reach out to vintage car clubs or forums, and be patient in finding the right one that suits your preferences and budget.
How fast is BMW E24?
The speed of a BMW E24 depends on the specific model and engine configuration. During its production years from 1976 to 1989, the E24 was offered with various engine options, ranging from more modest to high-performance variants.
For instance, the standard models like the 628CSi or 633CSi equipped with inline-six engines could achieve a top speed of around 121 to 130 mph (195 to 210 km/h). On the other hand, the more powerful versions, such as the M635CSi (also known as the M6 in the North American market) featuring a 3.5-liter inline-six engine with M Performance enhancements, could reach top speeds of approximately 155 mph (250 km/h).
It’s important to consider that the performance of a specific BMW E24 might vary based on factors such as the engine’s condition, any modifications or tuning it has undergone, the type of transmission, and the aerodynamic configuration. Additionally, over time, some of these vehicles might have experienced wear and tear, impacting their overall performance. Therefore, if you are looking to purchase a BMW E24 for its speed and performance, it’s crucial to carefully inspect the individual car and, if possible, have a professional mechanic evaluate its condition before making a decision.
Why you’d want a BMW E24
There are several reasons why someone might want a BMW E24:
- Classic design: The E24 boasts an iconic and elegant design that has aged well over the years, making it a head-turner on the road.
- Performance: The E24 was offered with powerful engines, providing a sporty driving experience and solid performance.
- Luxury features: As a luxury coupe, the E24 comes equipped with various comfort and convenience features, making it a comfortable and enjoyable car to drive.
- Collectible value: Due to its vintage status and iconic design, the E24 has become a sought-after classic car for collectors and enthusiasts.
BMW E24: what to look for
When considering purchasing a BMW E24, there are several key factors to inspect:
- Condition: Look for signs of rust, body damage, and any mechanical issues. A well-maintained E24 will generally be more desirable and potentially save you repair costs.
- Service history: Check the vehicle’s service records to ensure it has been properly maintained throughout its life.
- Engine and transmission: Ensure the engine runs smoothly, and the transmission shifts without issues.
- Interior: Check the condition of the interior, including the seats, dashboard, and electronics.
- Originality: A car closer to its original factory specifications may have higher value and authenticity for collectors.
Keep in mind that, as time passes, the specific availability and condition of BMW E24s will continue to evolve, so it’s essential to conduct thorough research and inspections before making a purchase.
Are you already a proud owner of a BMW E24? If so, check out our selection of parts for this car at the following link:
Photos sources: pinterest.jp, pinterest.com, tradeuniquecars.com.au, stanceworks.com