Mercedes W124 buyers guide
What is Mercedes W124?
The Mercedes-Benz W124 refers to a series of executive cars produced by Mercedes-Benz from 1984 to 1997. The W124 was designed to replace the previous W123 model and introduced several advancements in technology, safety, and comfort.
The W124 lineup offered various body styles and engine options, providing a wide range of choices to customers. Here are the main models and years in which they were produced:
- Mercedes-Benz W124 Sedan: The sedan version of the W124 was available throughout the entire production run from 1984 to 1997. It featured a classic four-door design with various engine options.
- Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate/Wagon: The estate or wagon variant was also introduced in 1984 and remained in production until 1996. It offered a spacious cargo area and practicality for those needing extra storage or passenger capacity.
- Mercedes-Benz W124 Coupe: The coupe model, known as the C124, was produced from 1987 to 1996. It featured a sleek two-door design and a more sporty appearance.
- Mercedes-Benz W124 Convertible: The convertible version, known as the A124, was produced from 1991 to 1997. It offered open-top driving experience with a retractable soft top.
Throughout its production, the W124 series featured a wide range of engines, including both petrol and diesel options, with varying power outputs. Additionally, Mercedes-Benz introduced several updates and facelifts during the W124’s production run to enhance its features and styling.
The W124 series is highly regarded for its durability, build quality, and innovative safety features. It has gained a reputation as a classic and reliable Mercedes-Benz model, with many enthusiasts appreciating its timeless design and robust engineering.
Mercedes W124 Bodywork
The bodywork of the Mercedes W124 showcases a timeless and elegant design. It features a combination of sharp lines and smooth curves, creating a well-proportioned and aerodynamic shape. The body panels are typically made of high-quality steel, ensuring durability and structural integrity. The overall design of the W124 exudes a sense of class and sophistication.
Mercedes W124 Engine and transmission
The Mercedes-Benz W124 was offered with a variety of engines and transmission options throughout its production period. The available engines ranged from fuel-efficient diesel engines to powerful gasoline engines. Here are some of the notable engine and transmission combinations found in the W124:
- Petrol Engines: The W124 featured a range of petrol engines, including four-cylinder and six-cylinder options. Some of the popular petrol engines included the 2.0-liter (M102), 2.3-liter (M102/M111), 2.6-liter (M103), and 3.0-liter (M103) inline-six engines. These engines were mated to either a 4-speed automatic transmission or a 5-speed manual transmission, providing a balance of performance and efficiency.
- Diesel Engines: The W124 was also offered with diesel engine options, known for their fuel efficiency and durability. The diesel engines included the 2.0-liter (OM601), 2.5-liter (OM602), and 3.0-liter (OM603) inline-five and inline-six engines. These diesel engines were typically paired with a 4-speed automatic transmission or a 5-speed manual transmission.
- Performance Models: For those seeking higher performance, Mercedes-Benz introduced special performance variants of the W124. The most notable is the Mercedes-Benz 500E/E500, which featured a powerful 5.0-liter V8 engine (M119) paired with a 4-speed automatic transmission.
The transmission options varied depending on the engine and model variant. While the 4-speed automatic transmission was more common, some models were equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission, offering a more engaging driving experience.
Mercedes W124 Interior and trim
The interior of the Mercedes W124 reflects the brand’s commitment to luxury and comfort. The cabin is designed with high-quality materials and meticulous attention to detail. The seats provide excellent support and comfort, making long journeys enjoyable. The interior trim varies depending on the model and specification but often includes elements like wood veneer, leather upholstery, and premium-quality plastics. Overall, the interior of the W124 offers a refined and sophisticated atmosphere.
Our opinion about Mercedes W124
From our perspective, the Mercedes W124 is an exceptional vehicle that has earned a strong reputation over the years. It is widely regarded as a classic and iconic Mercedes-Benz model. The W124 stands out for its timeless design, reliable performance, and excellent build quality. It embodies the brand’s commitment to engineering excellence and has become a symbol of durability and longevity. Overall, the Mercedes W124 is highly regarded by automotive enthusiasts and owners alike, and its reputation continues to endure.
Are you already a proud owner of a Mercedes W124? If so, check out our selection of parts for this car at the following link:
Photos sources: pinterest, carsbase.com,