Mercedes W124 reliability
- Mercedes W124 Modifications and AMG Upgrades
- Mercedes-benz W124 specification
- Problems and Faults with the Mercedes W124
- Mercedes W124 wheel size
Mercedes W124 Modifications and AMG Upgrades
The Mercedes W124 is considered to be highly reliable. The Mercedes W124, a popular model produced from 1984 to 1997, has been subject to various modifications and upgrades by car enthusiasts and aftermarket companies. One prominent modification is the addition of AMG (Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach) upgrades. AMG offered performance enhancements such as engine tuning, sport suspension systems, body kits, exhaust systems, and larger alloy wheels for the W124. These upgrades aimed to improve the car’s power, handling, and overall aesthetics.
Mercedes-benz W124 specification
The Mercedes-Benz W124 was available in various body styles, including sedan, coupe, estate (wagon), and convertible. Here are some general specifications for the W124 model range:
- Engine options: The W124 offered a range of petrol and diesel engines, including four-cylinder, six-cylinder, and eight-cylinder variants. Engine sizes varied from 2.0 liters to 6.0 liters, depending on the specific model and trim level.
- Transmission: Both manual and automatic transmissions were available, with the automatic being more common.
- Suspension: The W124 featured independent suspension at the front and a multi-link setup at the rear, providing a comfortable yet balanced ride.
- Safety features: The W124 was equipped with various safety features for its time, including anti-lock brakes (ABS), airbags, and traction control (in later models).
- Dimensions: The exact dimensions varied depending on the body style, but the W124 generally had a length of around 4.8 to 4.9 meters, a width of approximately 1.8 meters, and a height of around 1.4 to 1.5 meters.
Problems and Faults with the Mercedes W124
While the W124 is known for its durability and robust engineering, it is not entirely free from issues. Some common problems and faults that owners have reported include:
- Rust: The W124, especially older models, can be prone to rust, particularly in areas such as the wheel arches, undercarriage, and door sills. Regular maintenance and rust prevention measures are essential.
- Wiring harness degradation: W124s produced between 1992 and 1996 may experience degradation of the engine wiring harness, leading to electrical issues. This problem can cause engine misfires, stalling, and malfunctioning instruments.
- Aging suspension components: Over time, suspension components such as control arms, ball joints, and bushings can wear out, leading to noise, handling problems, and uneven tire wear. Regular inspection and maintenance of the suspension system are recommended.
- Climate control system issues: Some W124 models may experience problems with the climate control system, such as faulty blower motors, malfunctioning air conditioning compressors, or issues with temperature regulation.
Mercedes W124 wheel size
The wheel size for the Mercedes W124 can vary depending on the specific model, trim level, and personal preferences. The original wheel sizes offered by Mercedes-Benz for the W124 ranged from 14 inches to 16 inches in diameter. However, many owners choose to upgrade the wheels to larger sizes, such as 17 inches or even 18 inches, for improved aesthetics and handling. It’s important to consider factors like tire clearance, suspension modifications, and potential impact on ride comfort when selecting larger wheel sizes for the W124. Larger wheels may look more stylish, but they can negatively affect the car’s ride quality and reliability. It’s important to consult the car’s manual or a trusted mechanic when selecting new wheels and tires. Proper maintenance, such as regular tire rotations and alignments, can also ensure the car’s reliability and longevity. While larger wheels may be tempting, it’s important to prioritize safety and reliability when choosing the right wheel size for your Mercedes W124.
Are you already a proud owner of a Mercedes W124? If so, check out our selection of parts for this car at the following link: